It would be something worse than unkind
Should I wake up this morning to find
Though I’ve wrestled all night
To find something to write
Not a syllable entered my mind.
The mind is so wonderful. Why
Some days it can practically fly
But when out of luck
It’s as useless as ****
Just sits there and says, “My, oh my.”
It’s on mornings like these I concede
That, unlike the Venerable Bede
I find nothing to say
But I write anyway
Because I’ve a mind to succeed.
Yet success isn’t something one finds
On a paper, just writ between lines
To be the next Bard
One must work very hard
And strive for a meeting of minds
When the minds do finally meet
Tis a feeling that’s ever so sweet.
That is because the mind
Is now freshly refined,
Not boorish, like raw sugar beet.
Inside the mind of a poet
Is mellifluous, if you did know it,
Every word it does utter
Is smooth as spread butter
And you never will want to outgrow it.
So this was the challenge assigned,
To write something straight from the mind.
I have done it, my friends
On this best of weekends –
Here it is, sealed, delivered and signed.
This is my offering to Stream of Consciousness Saturday. The prompt word is ‘mind’.
Here are the rules:
- Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
- Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
- There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” or “Begin with the word ‘The’.”
- Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments, for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top.
- Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
- Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
- Have fun!