The prompt Linda chose for this week is: “almost.”
The thirtieth of May.
It’s almost June.
My birthday is in the middle of June, so it’s almost my birthday.
This birthday will be my sixty-sixth.
That means I’m almost sixty-six years old.
Is that old?
In the 50s, we had austerity, but we managed.
We were almost, but not quite, seriously poor.
My teenage years all happened in the 60s;
I was almost eleven when they started, almost of age (twenty-one in those days) when they finished.
Did I live the swinging 60s life?
Not even almost.
Living through the seventies, we almost faced the constant threat of annihilation
by the same medium that was going to give us almost free electricity:
We almost all expected that the nuclear holocaust would happen
and that it would happen by the year two thousand.
(even though it almost did in the early 60s).
So we were almost surprised to be still alive for the millennium,
Almost unprepared for retirement and ageing.
Yet, here we are.
I am no longer working for a living
I have started writing
Mostly for pleasure
But partly for possibly more tangible rewards.
Am I expecting to succeed?
Almost succeed, or almost expecting?
Now, there’s a story – almost!
This is my offering to Stream of Consciousness Saturday. The prompt word is ‘stick’.
Here are the rules:
- Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
- Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
- There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” or “Begin with the word ‘The’.”
- Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments, for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top.
- Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
- Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
- Have fun!