I’ve been looking at this week’s prompt word, stick, for about half an hour. The only thing that has come to my mind is the old one-liner, “What do you call a boomerang that won’t come back?” A stick. That was closely followed by “What is brown and sticky?” You guessed it, a stick.
My next thought was, “Stick it; I have other things to do this morning.”
Yeah – like waiting for the nurse to come to take my blood for the tests that the hospital want me to have done five days before my appointment next Tuesday; the ones I asked them, last Tuesday, to do on Wednesday, but to which I never had a reply. I asked again on Wednesday, when they said they couldn’t do it on Thursday because the lab is closed (public holiday), so they’d come on Friday. Except they didn’t, so maybe today. If not, they can stick it. I’ll have to change the hospital appointment.
I threw a stick for Trevor, our Jack Russell, yesterday. He went chasing it, yapping furiously, but was soundly outpaced by the young German Shepherd cross we’re looking after for a friend. He was miffed. Did he bark and yelp at her? No. He barked and yelped at me. As if it’s my fault that his six-inch legs are no match for her fifteen-inchers. He’s stuck with those short limbs; he’ll have to deal with it.
That’s it. Stuck now.
I’ll go back to my book that I’m in the middle of editing, and try to do something deeper than just proofing it. There are a couple of sticking points in the plot that I need to work through.
Let’s see if I can stick with that for the rest of the day.
This is my offering to Stream of Consciousness Saturday. The prompt word is ‘stick’.
Here are the rules:
- Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
- Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
- There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” or “Begin with the word ‘The’.”
- Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments, for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top.
- Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
- Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
- Have fun!